View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Vendetta Ride

Thank you for your courteous reply, brother. If my previous post sounded testy, it's because I've been burned by these people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas
You seem to think I am some big Rand fan, I am not. I have read three books by her, Capitalism the Unknown Ideal, Atlas Shrugged and Anthem. I did not even finish the Fountainhead, as I said before it was worthless.
Actually, I found it superior to "Atlas Shrugged," but that's a literary judgment. The plot wasn't so far-fetched, the hero was principled but not crazy, and it didn't have a long, John Galt-type screed included.

Quote:
Maybe you should read " Capitalism the Unknown Ideal " again and make that statement again. I think it was a good little starter book on economics just like " Economics in One Lesson " by Hazlitt or " I, Pencil," by Read. All three are good little books to start out on.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I have read all of her nonfiction books, including "The Virtue of Selfishness" and "The Romantic Manifesto." The book you mention was, in my judgment, nowhere near the same class as "Economics in One Lesson." I realize that not everybody can handle "Human Action," by Mises, but the Hazlitt book is the best introduction I've seen, except perhaps for Milton Friedman's "Free to Choose." I haven't read "I, Pencil."

Quote:
I have had the sad misfortune of running into some of these Objectivist. Calling them a cult is a understatement to say the least. I wanted you to know for sure I have never been one of those people nor will I ever be. I have also found a great deal of value in the Boy Scout Handbook this dose not mean I have ever been a Boy Scout. if you do not have this book I highly recommend you get one today. It is full of wonderful information. I'm not kidding.
The Boy Scout handbook was indispensable when I was a boy. It's terrific. I just hope it hasn't been "modernized", as the Girl Scouts have been: they now have Merit Badges for Ecology, Women's Studies, and all kinds of new-age crapola.

Quote:
I hope we are both wrong about ole' Bill Buckley. He was a good man and I hope he found the Lord before he died. Sadly I doubt this is the case.
I know that he heard the Gospel a number of times; Billy Graham was on "Firing Line" back when he was still evangelistic. And I'm sure that lots of National Review subscribers wrote to him, expressing concern. But, toward the end of his life, he wrote a "spiritual biography" called "Nearer, My God," in which he very enthusiastically reaffirmed his Catholic faith.

When I shared my testimony with him in a letter, he responded: "I will have my priest make a mass of thanksgiving for you." That was lovely, but he completely missed the point.

Quote:
Anything good worth getting? I may look him up and get one or two of his [Francis Schaeffer's] books. Anything you recommend?
Oh, yes. There are two authors who have, above all others, influenced the way I live as a Christian: Ruckman, and Francis Schaeffer. He coined the term "pre-evangelism," which is basically just planting seeds, that revolutionized my own witness. He shows how to present the Gospel to "modern thinkers." If you just add the King James part, it's a great approach, and it works. But we're talking about witnessing to "intellectuals:" the Schaeffer approach isn't necessary for everyone we meet. But he discussed the philosophical ramifications of everyone from Plato to Picasso and the Beatles. I'm telling you, you'd love this guy.

His greatest books on evangelism are "Escape from Reason" (very short, only about 125 pages) and, best of all, "The God Who Is There." The latter is absolutely indispensible. It's available in paperback, as are most of his books; there's also a hardcover edition of all the books together. Check Amazon.

He also did a book called "Genesis in Space and Time," all about the importance of the first three chapters of the Bible; and "Death in the City," which is a Jeremiah-like depiction of our modern world.

But if you only get one, it should definitely be "The God Who is There."

He also wrote an entire book on epistemology, "He is There and He is Not Silent."

But he was very "Reformed." Don't look to Schaeffer for prophecy, or church polity; he was a Presbyterian, although obviously a very evangelistic one. His son, Frank Schaeffer, has completely apostacized, written a foul, scurrilous book about his father, joined the Eastern Orthdox Church, and supported Obama. He's a bum.

The best way you can get a flavor for Schaeffer is from this site, which has quotes from each of his books. (I use them as my sig quotes at Pravda.) Just be sure to scroll all the way down, in each section, to see the actual quotes:

http://www.rationalpi.com/theshelter/

Just click on the "Writings" section for the quotes.

He also did a lot of anti-abortion work with C. Everett Koop, Reagan's Surgeon General; and wrote a book called "A Christian Manifesto" that would really appeal to Bro. Parrish.

Check it out: you'll be delighted.