View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 01:11 PM

VR,

Quote:
It's the dumbing-down of conservatism. You can thank Rush and Sean Hannity and George W. Bush for it.
This is the truth if it's ever been told. Many even think Rush is smart!

You seem to think I am some big Rand fan, I am not. I have read three books by her, Capitalism the Unknown Ideal, Atlas Shrugged and Anthem. I did not even finish the Fountainhead, as I said before it was worthless.

Quote:
She made absolutely no contribution to the study of economics;
Maybe you should read " Capitalism the Unknown Ideal " again and make that statement again. I think it was a good little starter book on economics just like " Economics in One Lesson " by Hazlitt or " I, Pencil," by Read. All three are good little books to start out on.

Quote:
I've read Marx, too, as well as Engels and Veblen and all the rest; but I don't waste time, in a Christian forum, telling people how valuable their insights were.
Nor do I but I was ask what I have read and I posted what I have read.

Quote:
You needn't be so defensive on this subject. I never said or implied that you were a follower of Rand; I was referring to the members of her cult.
I have had the sad misfortune of running into some of these Objectivist. Calling them a cult is a understatement to say the least. I wanted you to know for sure I have never been one of those people nor will I ever be. I have also found a great deal of value in the Boy Scout Handbook this dose not mean I have ever been a Boy Scout. if you do not have this book I highly recommend you get one today. It is full of wonderful information. I'm not kidding.

One other of my all time favorite books is " Storey's Basic Country Skills. " Other than the Bible this is my all time favorite book.

If I could only own 3 books these are the three I would own.

1. KJV Bible
2. Storey's Basic Country Skills
3. Boy Scout Handbook

I hope we are both wrong about ole' Bill Buckley. He was a good man and I hope he found the Lord before he died. Sadly I doubt this is the case.

Quote:
I consider Francis Schaeffer, for all his Calvinism, to be so helpful: he addressed precisely those issues.
Anything good worth getting? I may look him up and get one or two of his books. Anything you recommend?

I am also still amazed that nobody mentioned any industry publications that they read about their own industry. I have always found what a person dose for a living to be very important. In my life there is what I call the big three important things.

1. Faith
2. Family
3. Financial Planning

I always wonder why folks do not read all they can about their job. Why they do not try to advance their knowledge about what they do for a living. This is ok with me, but when I go to a CPA, carpenter or even Doctor. I want a man that did not stop getting his education after getting out of college. Knowledge, drive and God's blessings will make you better at your job no matter what your job is. We are to work as unto the Lord. We should all give our very best.

Atlas