View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Mikie View Post
I hope you really don't think people will miss Heaven because they speak in tongues.
I think the problem comes in when Charismatics say that you must have a second blessing of the Holy Spirit which is only evidenced by speaking in tongues.

Some may even depend on tongues speaking for salvation.

When a person is saved, they receive the Holy Spirit. The main role of the Holy Spirit is to give the believer the power to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ.

We are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, we receive the Holy Spirit. This is a done deal. Sanctification is a process. A true believer will be sanctified. What does tongues have to do with salvation, nothing.

Speaking in tongues was a sign to the Jews.
Quote:
Isaiah 28:11-12 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
Speaking in tongues was the miraculous ability to speak in a foreign language that they did not know. Is that what you are talking about when you say you speak in tongues? Or are you repeating repetitious babbling? I know many that were in Charismatic Churches and they all say the same thing that there is much peer pressure to repeat these babblings? This is not scriptural. I've heard these things and they would be very easy to repeat. although, I would not be able to speak in a foreign language without first learning the language. That would be miraculous!
Quote:
Acts 2:6-7 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?