View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I do not want to take this thread off subject--so to speak. But I do want to make sure I have a proper understanding regarding the historical, doctrinal, and spiritual view. Several have referred to the issue of historical, doctrinal, and spiritual application on various threads. I have read the comments of other well learned brethren, and I'm not sure I really have a grip on some of their teaching. So, once again, I'll ask for your "elderly" counsel.

To me, the historical and spiritual application is self-explanatory. It's the teaching on the doctrinal aspect that I may not have a thorough understand of. So I'll ask for some clarification.

Is all doctrine in the Holy Scriptures, although it is not specifically "aimed" at us, profitable for us?

When we read that "all scripture is profitable for doctrine" is that limited to only those doctrines in scripture that are aimed at us?

Personally, Brother George, it would be very difficult for me to say, "Since a particular doctrine is not aimed at me, it is not profitable to me for doctrine."

It's probably a lot simpler than I'm making it, but it seems important to me. In your understanding, what does the historical, doctrinal, and spiritual view mean? But not altogether.

Aloha brother Forrest,

Since:
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Then it follows that the premise:
Quote:
"Since a particular doctrine is not aimed at me, it is not profitable to me for doctrine."
would be a "false premise".

I do not adhere to such a "premise", although some Hyper (Ultra) Dispensationalists do. I try to abide by what is written, i.e. "All Scripture" is not only "given by inspiration" but that - ALL SCRIPTURE IS PROFITABLE for ALL of those things listed, including DOCTRINE.

My "job" (as a student of Scripture) is to "rightly divide" the word of God, and determine what part of the Scriptures apply to me (doctrinally). But All of the Scripture is there for my "learning".
[Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.]

I do not "pick apart" the Scriptures, I endeavor to "rightly divide" them.