View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzoff1031 View Post
Ok. So stick with the Scofield. Now the next question is, how do I go about reading and studying the Bible? And how much time per day or week to spend in each?
Avoid turning your time in the word into a religious exercise. Nothing burns me out faster than feeling like I have to stick to some prescribed regimen when reading the Bible.

But there must be balance: your flesh won't want to read the Book, so you still have to whip it into submission on occasion and start doing it even if you don't want to. (Yes, I know this seems like conflicting advice, but I hope you can understand the point about balance I am trying to make).

Understanding the word is all about the spirit, and you just can't force it. My suggestion is to make yourself start reading, and then read until you feel full. You will never exhaust all that the Book has to offer.

Maybe start reading in the book of John. If a verse perks your interest, run Scofield's cross-references and see what else the Book says. Use a Bible program (I'll leave it to others to suggest which one) to search words and phrases that interest your spirit at the moment. Need some help studying a topic? Post in the doctrine forum with specific questions.

Hope this helps.