View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 05:43 AM

The High priest is to do the functions you say John was performing if indeed they are priestly washings. Lev 8:6 where Moses washed Arron is not a single dip in water as John but a literal washing.

It is obvious by John's Baptism that those who followed it were doing so not to be cleansed priests but that they believed the words spoken by John. It is the high priest job to wash priests and to appoint them there duty.

it is not the washing of Moses that John did because there were no dressing of them for the priestly duties, no sacrifices for their sins, no 8 day period before they did sacrifices for the people as what took place in Lev 8.

There is absolutely no similarity between what Moses did and what John was doing. I have been reading it. the difference is I see John's baptism in context to what he was teaching and Moses washing in the context of priestly order and duties.

I can not use verse to support baptism of John from the Old Testament. it would seem to be a New thing. Luke 20:4 - 7The baptism of John, was it from heaven, or of men? And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say, Why then believed ye him not? But and if we say, Of men; all the people will stone us: for they be persuaded that John was a prophet. And they answered, that they could not tell whence it was. If John was doing the washings as given by both the command of God and the instructions and example of Moses as found in Lev 8 all these priests and scribes had to answer was that it was from the Law of Moses. These men obviously knew John was doing something totally unknown to them. plus John himself might have been of a priestly line but his duty was for that of incense only. his line was not that of the high priest. nor was John officially recognized as a priest. plus according to Moses only Levite's are to be washed and anointed.

He was only the one who was preparing for the coming of the Lord. The people response to his preaching was if they believed John's preaching was to repent, to be Baptized for the remission of sins. if they did not get baptized they were not showing their belief in what John preached and they were not repenting.

I have studied it and I do not see John's ministry in anyway similar to that of what Moses commanded the priest to do. I am not concerned about what COC teaches but what the Bible teaches. And the Bible does not teach John's Baptism is the washing of Levite Priests and that is a private interpretation.

Last edited by chette777; 06-05-2009 at 05:49 AM.