View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Does a “believer” confess their sins in order to restore their fellowship with God? Is that what 1 John 1:9 really says? For years that is what I told people it meant. But that's not what it says.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Or do we confess our sins in order to restore our fellowship with God? What does the Bible say? Please consider what I am asking. Personally, I begin seeing this passage in 1 John differently as I grew in grace and in the knowledge of Christ. As I begin to receive by faith His preeminence in all things and my completeness in Him alone, I began to simply repent of sin and praise and thank Him for what He has already done at the cross.
Forrest, I'm trying to see your angle on this...

I'm not sure why you have a problem with the word "confess" brother, it still seems you are ignoring the plain instructions to confess any sin in our life to God. For me it's done almost in one breath, I confess it (identify it, name it) and ask God to forgive me for it. Why is that a problem—that is what 1 John 1:9 instructs us to do. I guess the "fellowship thing" can be debated, but whether or not we totally understand what is written in 1 John 1:9, confession is certainly there, and that's because confessing is part of God's plan for us to recognize and deal with the sins in our lives.

Why do we confess our sins to be cleansed from all unrighteousness?
Because we can stumble in sin, and all sin is unrighteousness. (I John 5:17)

The simple fact is, we can and do grieve the Holy Spirit of God, and carrying around habitual sin without confessing it and putting it away is not a good place to be. These sins can not change our blessed position in God's family, but they can still have grave consequences in our daily lives and rob us of our joy. It seems to me that the idea of "fellowship" is part of this passage...

"If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." I John 1:6-7

It seems to me the context is God's children and sin...

"My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous" I John 2:1

I agree and rejoice with you 100% that positionally we are justified and "it is finished." However, we cannot confuse our positional forgiveness with the need for ongoing forgiveness and cleansing as we stumble in sin. Christians are still quite capable of any sin you can imagine; and that's why the writer of Ephesians mentions putting away bitterness, wrath, and anger, evil speaking etc. and tells his readers to "grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."

22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.

26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

27 Neither give place to the devil.

28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. — Eph. 4:22-32

Last edited by Bro. Parrish; 06-08-2009 at 07:17 PM.