View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
Oh I am sorry. I didn't know we were talking about the sin of dying in a fire. Yes, they should have chose a better way to die.

Please! Let's not confuse the question by bringing ridiculous and fantastic side issues. Of course I don't think someone that DIES via a house fire or explosion or any such thing as wrong!? Is that what it sounded like I said?
No, I don't think so. I was referring to people who CHOSE to be cremated rather than buried.

I am also not saying I think it is "wrong" or a "sin" to cremate. I was only giving him some thoughts to consider.

Hmmm...no not that I can find. But I was trying to answer the original question, not yours.

Not exactly what you mean here, but ok? I wasn't "applying" anything...just offering him the Scriptures I felt dealt with the topic.
Here is exactly what you wrote, Amanda.

Quote:
The typology is planting a seed. A farmer does not destroy his seed before planting (cremation), yet he plants it whole (burial). The seed (body) decays naturally in which comes a new life (resurrection).

Also, could we consider the instances where a body was burned up as an act of God's wrath and not a good thing.

This Scripture appears to say here that it is a transgression:

Quote:
1 Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Moab, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because he burned the bones of the king of Edom into lime:
I highlight your words.

Quote:
Also, could we consider the instances where a body was burned up as an act of God's wrath and not a good thing.

This Scripture appears to say here that it is a transgression:
Amanda, you brought up the issue of "instances where a body was burned up as an act of God's wrath and not a good thing". The Old Testament example you gave has absolutely nothing to do with us.

Quote:
You wrote: Not exactly what you mean here, but ok? I wasn't "applying" anything...just offering him the Scriptures I felt dealt with the topic.
You wrote, "I wasn't "applying" anything...just offering him the Scriptures I felt dealt with the topic." Okay. I will validate your feelings. But your attempt to use scripture as a way to support why we should bury not cremate is wrong. This is what is meant by trying to harmonize the word of truth instead of rightly dividing the word of truth. We should:

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

When we attempt to use scripture that has nothing to do with us concerning the choices we make regarding cremation, we are not rightly dividing the word of truth, we are attempting to make it harmonize instead, in order to rally support of a particular view point or the way we feel about something.

You certainly have a right to your personal preference. You think we should follow the Biblical pattern of burial. Be sure and study up on the Jewish burial custom so you can follow their example. But it is wrong to use scripture out of context that is not addressing us in the first place.

You wrote:

Quote:
Of course I don't think someone that DIES via a house fire or explosion or any such thing as wrong!? Is that what it sounded like I said?
No, I don't think so. I was referring to people who CHOSE to be cremated rather than buried.
Amanda, please read my question to you carefully. If you fully believe a person is not wrong for dieing via a house fire or explosion or any such thing, then what difference does it make if someone chooses cremation? You brought that up, not me. Why not just say, if you choose cremation you are in no way wrong.