View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey View Post
I see the names assigned to various denominations of coins in the AV as one of the areas where it could have been translated much better.
I strongly disagree.

Quote:
A denarius is a specific Roman silver coin that was used all over the Empire. To translate "Denarius" as "Penny" is rather misleading and confusing to those not familiar with coinage in the First Century and in the early 1600s in England.
I read the article in the encyclopaedia just now on "penny". That shows very clearly that a "penny" is exactly what coin was being used in the time of Christ, which in their language was called "denarius". That is why penny has the code "d".

Quote:
A Denarius was more or less a days wage in the First Century, in the 1600s in England a common day's pay was a Shilling (=12 Pence). This choice of translation confuses the value of the coin in question.
That is a baseless argument in that inflation has occurred in history. A penny in the Scripture was about a day's wage.

Quote:
In fairness to the AV translators it should be noted that the English Penny can trace it's origins to the Roman Denarius. When the Empire fell, coined money became much less common for a while ... Throughout the Middle Ages the English Penny had a lot of buying power, but by the Tudor period had been shrunk in size and was quite debased.
There is a direct link between the English penny and the Roman money system. The size of the coin, its constitution, its relative value in the Middle Ages, its use in France, etc., are but side issues.

Quote:
In my opinion calling the Denarius a "Penny" confuses things rather than simplifies them. Most people know what a Denarius is and if they don't, it is not hard to learn what one is.
Actually, "penny" is the simplest word. Everybody knows it is the standard common coin. In Australia the smallest coin we have is 5c, but people still know what a penny is, as it continues in common sayings.

Quote:
The use of the word "Farthing" by the AV translators very much confuses the meaning and in my opinion* can fairly be called an error.

*My opinion on this matter is based on my 20+ years of experience as a professional numismatist specializing in Roman, Biblical and medieval coinage.
Don't worry, plenty of abortionists, evolutionists, philosophers, psychiatrists, brewers and modern version scholars are also experts with over 20+ years experience in their professions. They agree that the King James Bible is wrong, but that doesn't make the King James Bible wrong.