View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 11:19 AM

Default Re: " Faith "Of" against Faith "In""

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
"I have never came across a passage, that implied to me Faith was imputed either. The verse below says faith is a gift, and not a faith of our own, but a faith given of God. Which allows us to believe, but still must be acted upon to bring salvation.
God also keeps us through this faith gift, otherwise our own wishey/washey faith would fail us; probably very quickly.
I think that is why you will see someone post once in a while, about being confused, and doubting. Paul said in Thessalonians that not all men have faith. And some may try, or have to come to a kind of faith on their own; which soon fails. Which leaves them doubting and confused, or worse yet self deceived
."

Eph:2:8: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Aloha brother Samuel,

Your statement: "The verse below says faith is a gift, and not a faith of our own, but a faith given of God. Which allows us to believe, but still must be acted upon to bring salvation.

I don't understand what you mean by: "but still must be acted upon to bring salvation." What "action" (on our part) is necessary "to bring salvation"?

I'm afraid you have the "horse before the cart".

The Chronological order is:

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, AFTER that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also AFTER that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

God does not give us the "faith" to "BELIEVE" (Nowhere's in the Bible does it say that) - He gives us "the faith of Christ" AFTER we have BELIEVED!

Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

The Scriptural order is: HEARING - BELIEVING - and then - FAITH.

John 20:27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

Thomas was "FAITHLESS" (without "faith") - because he did NOT BELIEVE. That is - He did not possess "faith" because He refused to BELIEVE.