View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 PM

George's comments in blue.

I agree that Paul is making a contrast, but the contrast is between "Grace" and "Faith" (the ways & means of our Salvation) NOT between Grace and "Salvation" or Faith and "Salvation".
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
You are correct. The contrast is not between "Grace" and “Faith", “Grace” and “Salvation” or “Faith” and “Salvation". The verse tells us the nature of the contrast; something is the gift of God: not of works. The contrast is gift versus works. It’s definitely not faith, could be grace, but most likely salvation.
And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. (Romans 11:6)

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 6:23)
I guess this is an area we will have to disagree on.

Paul contrasts "faith" and "works" in several of his Epistles, so it makes "perfect sense" to contrast the "GIFT" of "faith" with "works".}

Paul never contrasts the “gift of faith” with works. He never even uses the term “gift of faith”.
Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. (Romans 3:27)

Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone; (Romans 9:32)

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. (Galatians 2:16)

This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (Galatians 3:2)

He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (Galatians 3:5)

No one is denying that salvation is a GIFT from God - What some of us are saying is: it's NOT THE ONLY "GIFT" that we have received from God!

If I said so I didn’t mean to, but I don’t think I said every time the word gift is used in the Bible it refers to salvation. You have to look at the context. And the context of Ephesians 2:1-10 is God’s saving us.

If faith is a gift then why did Jesus rebuke those for having little or none, but spoke well of those who did.
Matthew 8:10
When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

Matthew 9:22
But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.

Matthew 9:29
Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.

Matthew 15:28
Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

Mark 10:52
And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way.

Luke 18:42
And Jesus said unto him, Receive thy sight: thy faith hath saved thee.

Matthew 8:26
And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.

Matthew 16:8
Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?

Luke 8:25
And he said unto them, Where is your faith? And they being afraid wondered, saying one to another, What manner of man is this! for he commandeth even the winds and water, and they obey him.