View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 07:06 AM

Location: Colorado, a beautiful state with four distinct seasons; sometimes in the same day!
Default Purified 7 times

[QUOTE=bibleprotector;12140]
Having said that, I start a count of seven versions from Tyndale 1525, and count the Matthew Bible in 1537, though it in part is Tyndale’s 1534 revised edition as edited by John Rogers.

“These translations to be used, when they agree better with the text than the Bishops’ Bible: Tyndale’s, Matthew’s, Coverdale’s, Whitchurch’s [Great], Geneva.”

Hi brother. After some thought on this and having reconsidered Dr. Vance's article, I think you are probably right on this. I originally thought Wycliffe should be included because it is so well known about, though not actually known, but Wycliffe was translated from the Latin and all the other English bibles were from Hebrew and Greek sources. So I think you are probably right and I have since then changed this part of my previous article.

I have found that I have to sometimes revise a few things after further thought and prayer about it. Thanks for your input and your strong defense of the Book.

Here is what my article reads now.

What were the 7 purifications of God's words in the English language? I think Dr. Laurance M. Vance has hit upon the answer in his informative article found here, where he sums of the various views. http://www.biblebelievers.com/Vance5.html Mr. Vance concludes: "The information we need is to be found, not in the translators' "The Epistle Dedicatory" or their "The Translators to the Reader," but in the "Rules to be Observed in the Translation of the Bible." These general rules, fifteen in number, were advanced for the guidance of the translators. The first and fourteenth, because they directly relate to the subject at hand, are here given in full: "1. The ordinary Bible read in the Church, commonly called the Bishops Bible, to be followed, and as little altered as the Truth of the original will permit." "14. These translations to be used when they agree better with the Text than the Bishops Bible: Tindoll's, Matthews, Coverdale's, Whitchurch's, Geneva." And thus we have our answer. The seven English versions that make the English Bibles up to and including the Authorized Version fit the description in Psalm 12:6 of the words of the Lord being "purified seven times" are Tyndale's, Matthew's, Coverdale's, the Great Bible (printed by Whitechurch), the Geneva Bible, the Bishops' Bible, and the King James Bible."

Accepted in the Beloved,
Will K