View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 07:56 AM

Years ago my best friend and co-worker was a devout Roman Catholic. We spoke about the Bible everyday. When I first knew him it was clear he thought he had to obey the teachings of the Roman Catholic church to be saved. I believe at that time he was lost, although only the Lord can say who is truly lost or saved. But I believe he was lost because according to his own words he had to obey the church to be saved. I showed him many scriptures over the years and he came to agree that we were saved by trusting in Jesus Christ 100% for our salvation without the works of the law. So, I believe he was saved later according to the own words coming out of his mouth. He even admitted that he believed the teaching of the RC was wrong. I suggested he come out of the RC church, but he felt he could help his church and teach the true gospel there. I moved away, but he probably still belongs to the RC church.

And just because someone is Baptist does not mean they are saved. Being saved has nothing to do with church membership. The Bible clearly teaches that we must believe on Jesus to be saved.

But what does believe mean? Any Roman Catholic will tell you that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died on the cross for our sins, and that He rose from the dead. Does that mean they are saved?

I don't think so. You have to go one step further than just affirming or believeing that Jesus died for us and rose from the dead. You have to trust Jesus 100% to get you to heaven. You must abandon or repent from the belief that good works, or that ordinances like baptism will get you to heaven.

I liken it to jumping out of a plane with a parachute. When you jump out of the plane, you are depending or believeing 100% for that parachute to get you to the ground safely. If that parachute fails, then you are a goner. And we do not help the parachute either, we do not flap our arms and try to fly. No, we depend or rely 100% on the parachute.

So, this is what I believe the biblical term to believe on Christ means. When I was a boy I prayed and asked Jesus Christ to forgive all my sins and come into my heart. And that is ALL my hope for heaven. I am depending completely on Jesus, if Jesus doesn't get me to heaven I am doomed. There is nothing good about me, and no works I can do to get to heaven. And I do not need Jesus plus good works, it is Jesus alone.

And you know, I am glad I can depend on Jesus to get me to heaven. I know Jesus can never fail. If I had to depend on myself I KNOW I would fail.

Many believe the 17th chapter of Revelations is the Roman Catholic church, and I think this is probably so myself. If so, there are absolutely saved people in the church as God calls them out in Rev 18:4

Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

You see here that God calls them "my people", so these people are saved, but in the wrong church.