View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 AM

Default Teach everyone English?

Quote -"Unashamedly, I say that we had rather have one standard, according to Isaiah’s prophecies (e.g. 59:19), than to have what the Dean Burgon Society labours to attain, which is thousands of translations to every tribe and dialect, rather than conformity to one standard for all, made common, and proved to be true.

I find that David Livingston taught the brightest and most zealous natives English, and that they would be set to be the future spiritual leaders. I find that in Australia, the Aborigines were taught English, and it took until 2007 for a complete Bible (a modern version) to be made in just one of their dialects. I say that the aims of Richard Hakluyt, Oliver Cromwell and others were higher, and that the William Carey Bible Society is viewing things with the limitations of the nineteenth century, rather than having the nineteenth century truth advancing for all."

This was what one of you brethren said. I don't know if it is the view of all. The question I have is this - if people must learn English to hear the wonderful Word of God, Why did God give the gift of tongues in Acts chapter 2 so that all could hear in the language of their birth?

There is absolutely no scriptural backing for such a claim. It is a strong place to stand when you must stand there with only the wisdom of man. I believe that God, Himself, was involved in the translation of the King James Version, but I don't believe that He is limited to one language. In fact the early church struggled with the different languages. I Corinthians 14 talks of the tongues of men (the many languages in the world), and the tongues of angels (every listener understands in his own language). I have personally documented over 5,000 language groups that have not yet heard one verse of scripture in their language. One such group has over 8,000,000 souls. Am I to understand that we must teach everyone good enough English to actually understand the Bible? It will take anywhere from 5-15 years to get them the Bible in their own language, and then it is accessable to all.

All King James Bible Believers are men of faith, and I am blessed to be one of those. We believe that God keeps His promises. However, faith is not a blind acceptance of some mans opinion. It is the substance of things hoped for-the evidence of things not seen. It is always anchored in the pomises of God. God did not promise that He would give the Bible in one language and then everyone must come to that language. He promised to preserve it, but He also promised to give it to the whole world.

Thanks for considering my thoughts.