Thread: Bad tracts
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 10:39 AM

I think the clearest teaching on repentance is Luke 13:1-4

Luke 13:1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. 2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye 3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. 4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

I believe repent means to change your viewpoint or attitude. In Luke 13 we have some self-righteous people who assumed that because some people had been put to death by Pilate, that this was a clear indication that these people were exceedingly wicked sinners, and that God had brought about this circumstance to punish them.

But notice what Jesus says in vs. 2 "Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?"

So, what Jesus was doing is telling these self-righteous people that they need to change their viewpoint or attitude toward themselves and recognize that they too were sinners. Only when a person realizes they are a lost sinner will they come to Christ for forgiveness.

And it is the same in vs 4 "think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?"

Again, what Jesus is telling these people is they need to recognize their own sinfulness and realize they too were in danger of perishing.

And John the Baptist said the same.

Matt 3:5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan, 6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins. 7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: 9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

First, notice vs. 5 says "confessing their sins"

This is repentance. It is a change of heart, a change of view or attitude toward one's self to admit and confess they are a sinner.

And if you've ever gone door to door trying to lead someone to Christ you know this is the most difficult thing to convince a person of, that they are a lost sinner. People will tell you over and over "I am a good person!" I have heard that many, many times. This is the change that first needs to occur, a person must realize they truly are a sinner and not a good person. This is repentance.

The Pharisees and Sadducees were known for their self-righteousness. What was their biggest criticism of Christ?

Matt 9:11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?

You see, the Pharisees thought they were righteous. They did not consider themselves sinners in danger of Hell. They could see other's faults, but could not see their own.

And this is why John the Baptist asked, "O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?"

It was a very notable thing to see a Pharisee or Sadducee admit that they too were wicked sinners.

And there was another attitude that had to be changed. Some thought they were saved merely because they were the decendents of Abraham. Many Jews still believe this. And some folks believe they are saved simply because they belong to a certain church. But John the Baptist pointed out to them that simply being a decendent of Abraham did not assure salvation, and that God could raise up children unto Abraham of stones.

So, as was said by others, repentance means to turn from trusting in a person's own righteousness, or believeing that you are saved merely by ancestry or belonging to a particular church.