Thread: Bad tracts
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 10:18 AM
tandy1650

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Aloha Tandy 1650,

Let's start over - shall we? First off, as brother Luke has said, we know nothing about you. I'm not even sure whether you are a man or a woman. It would be nice to know a little bit about the person we are speaking with.

If you are a woman, I can understand your reluctance to give out much information about yourself, considering how perverse the "net" is, but I think it would be appropriate for you to give at least a little information about yourself rather than just arrive here and jump into a controversy.

I also understand your concern about what some call - "easy believism", however, just because we have a "concern" about the shallow way that salvation is presented in some circles, we cannot (must not) "change" what God has written concerning salvation in order to insure that no "abuse" occurs concerning it.

The basic prerequisite to receiving God's gift of eternal salvation is we must: . . . . "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved," .... [Acts 16:31]

Belief is the "KEY" that makes it possible to become a son of God: John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

We have to be careful that we don't add "repentance" to the Gospel:

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

I "think" that you and I are not very far apart in our "belief" (I too believe that belief is a sole operation and function of the heart), I just think you you must be extremely careful in regards to the requirement that there must always be "repentance" BEFORE salvation. When a child of 8, or 9, or 10, or 11 believes "on the Lord Jesus Christ", what sins do they have to "repent" of?

There are a lot of Threads & Posts dealing with this subject on this Forum. I would suggest you use the "SEARCH" function on the Forum and check out some of the Posts. In addition I have a 250 page study on the heart of man on my web page - you might want to check it out, to see if we are in agreement or not.

We are a pretty friendly bunch here, EXCEPT when it comes to Bible correctors, deniers, or heretics (and modern "Christianity" is full of them).

Why don't we start over - introduce yourself and relax: We don't bite, although occasionally I have been known to BARK!
Brother I am an ex-Marine who believes the word of God. I grew up in a Southern Baptist church in Morristown, TN. When I was ten years old at a Wednesday night service the preacher asked everyone who was saved to raise their hands. When he pointed down at me sitting on the front pew and asked if I was saved, I meekly shook my head no. At the end of the service he came down and took me to the altar and led me in a sinner's prayer and told me I was "saved." The only problem was, I was under no conviction, and the prayer didn't mean a thing. I believed in Jesus and that there was a heaven and a hell (so much that I trembled at the thought), but the only "assurance" I had came from the fact that I said a prayer and was a baptized member of a Baptist church.

A few years passed and I was constantly afraid of dying and remember one night during a thunder storm, great fear came upon me as I thought the trumpet might be blowing. I ran outside not knowing what to do. I continued to convince myself I was saved though because I "believed in Jesus." Everyone told me I was saved except the Holy Spirit!

When it came to lying and stealing, it didn't bother me and I had nothing but "religion" to comfort me. In 1971, while working at a grocery store, someone left a Chick tract entitled "This Was Your Life" in a flower pot. I took it home and after reading it, the Holy Spirit brought me under much conviction and I no longer tried to fool myself into thinking that I was saved. A week or two passed when after hearing a sermon by my pastor, I finally cried from my heart to the Lord to have mercy and save me for Jesus sake. There was a peace that passed over my soul that words can't describe and for the first time in my life I layed down in bed and wasn't afraid to meet God.

Only someone with an agenda (a repentantless gospel) would even imply that "This Was Your Life" teaches "lordship salvation" as portrayed by some extremists. Nowhere does the Bible teach that you must "repent of all your sins" but it does teach that if one comes to God for salvation there will be a desire to turn from sin and turn to Christ. That change of heart is the difference between a Christian and a lost religious man.

The apostle Paul said it plainly concerning those whose faith is only a mental assent and didn't get down to their heart.

Tit 1:16 They profess (just like the friend I work with) that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Regards.