Old 07-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Default Re: "Hello......Looking For Help On Cremation"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
"Ok that totally made me laugh out loud"

"Is this not obviously referring to offering yourself as a sacrifice?!"

"I can just see Paul..." "Though I cremate my body it profiteth me nothing"

Aloha sister Amanda,

Nothing is "obvious" at all! And I see nothing "humorous" about my comments.

You CHANGED Paul's "words" (and then ADDED your own) to match your "private interpretation". {You also SUBTRACTED FROM God’s holy word – i.e. “
and have not charity”}

The Apostle Paul said:

Quote:
Quote:
1 Corinthians 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
You said:
Quote:
Quote:
"Though I cremate my body it profiteth me nothing" {There's a BIG DIFFERENCE - IF "words" mean anything at all!}
Nothing is being said about someone "SACRIFICING" their living "body" - can you imagine the Apostle Paul talking about SACRIFICING himself ("by burning"?) for anyone. This, after years of preaching and teaching about the ONE EFFECTUAL & FINAL "SACRIFICE" [1Corinthian 1:23, 2:2] made by the Lord Jesus Christ (BY "CRUCIFIXION" - NOT by "burning") The verse is talking about GIVING a "body" (a DEAD "body") to be "burned" - NOT a "burnt offering"!

Consider the "CONTEXT" of verse three:
Quote:
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
In the context the verse is talking about "GIVING" - NOT "SACRIFICING"! Paul talks about - "bestowing" (GIVING) all his goods "TO FEED THE POOR"; and then he talks about “GIVING” (NOT “SACRIFICING” – the word “sacrifice” is NOT in the entire Chapter, and neither is the word "offering") his body to be “burned” (NOT as a "burnt offering"); and the point he was making is – if he does not have CHARITY – “IT PROFITETH ME NOTHING” (when he gets to the judgment seat of Christ - even if he gave "his body to be burned").

Paul was speaking to the Corinthian church (a predominantly Gentile church) and, if you check your Greek & Roman history - quite often the Gentiles would "cremate" their dead. {"Context" - it's always about "CONTEXT"!}

Ephesians 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet smelling savour.

1 Corinthians 1:23
But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

1 Corinthians 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.