View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
First thought that comes to mind is that the waters brought forth sea birds, such as gulls, pelicans, etc.

The earth brought forth land birds such as sparrows, etc.

All life was created by Divine Fiat....spoken into existence by God. Life did not "evolve" from primordial soup. The poetic language used in Genesis conveys truth in non-scientific terminology.

Shalom,

Tandi
Ok, but first ground rule: Please spare me on the anti-evolution platitudes. Nobody mentioned anything about evolution, and I don't intend to bring that subject up (I don't believe it, anyway). We are dealing here only with divinely inspired Scriptural text.

That being said. Yes, but the "poetic language" cited does appear to contradict itself. My first thought was that the first instance could have meant water birds like penguins, but they can not "fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven." (Gen 1:20) That would also rule out other flightless birds which are land dwellers.

BOTH the birds that the waters brought forth (Genesis 1:20-22) and that were brought forth from the ground (Genesis 2:19) are said to fly.

So, again, the question is this: One passage says they came forth from the waters, another says they came from the ground. Why is this not a contradiction?