View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 07:13 AM

Rightly dividing the word does not simply pertain to determining who scripture applies to and what dispensation, it also means to correctly divide a passage.

The passage here (and you did not include the whole passage which makes a big difference in understanding it properly) speaks of two distinct types, those with faith versus those with knowledge.

Those with faith:

Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised; )

These verses are speaking of those who not only have knowledge of Jesus Christ but have also believed on him.

If you would have read to the end of the passage this is clearly pointed out.

Heb 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

But parts of this passage is addressed to those who have heard and understood the Gospel, but reject it.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. 28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

These persons are quite different from those who heard the Gospel, understood, and then believed on Jesus. This group heard the Gospel, and even understood, but then it says they "sin willfully" they "despised", they "hath trodden under foot" , "hath counted.... an unholy thing", "hate done despite".

Do you not see these folks are very different from those who believed?

This passage is warning those who hear and reject the Gospel that they are rejecting the one and only possible hope of salvation.

Luke 6:47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: 48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. 49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

You see here, you can hear Jesus's word, but refuse to obey.

And what exactly was it that Jesus wanted those who heard to do?

John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

So, in Heb 10:26 those who "willfully" sinned are those who heard the Gospel and understood it, yet willfully refused to believe on Christ. There is no other remedy left for them to be saved.

Last edited by Winman; 05-23-2009 at 07:35 AM.