View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Default Re: "Brand new to forum; confused!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollister View Post
Hi all~

I joined because I'm confused. I have a Cambridge KJV that is truly the KJV and I'm very happy with it (I use it for church, primarily). I also have a Thompson Chain Ref. that I love, however, after perusing this site and a few others, I realize that some things have been changed. I thought this was minor (the changes i.e. sin to sins, etc.), but am now beginning to wonder. Are there any Study Bibles/Reference Bibles that are considered to be true King James? I found one from a link from this site, but it says the study notes are from CI Scofield? I don't know who this is, and if this is a good thing or not. For what it's worth, I am a Baptist (fundamental/independent) so would prefer notes that are along those lines. Any guidance? Much appreciated~Hollister.
Aloha brother Hollister,

I want to welcome you to the AV1611 Bible Forums. And I hope we haven't been the cause of your confusion. On a Forum such as this, you are going to get a lot of differing "opinions", most of which are not meant to "confuse" a believer, but some of which may.

Brother Steven (peopleoftheway) has given you some excellent advise, and I am in complete agreement with brother tonybones2112 advise:
Quote:
"Hollister, don't become dependent on ANY "study Bible". For one, as the years pass the chain references run out as do the study notes. Stay away from the NKJV, and the "New Scofield" of 1967. Neither are KJVs."
I can't speak to the rest of brother bones' advise because he is recommending my "study" and, although I am in complete agreement with him about SwordSearcher, I am a tad bit "biased" - since Brandon Staggs happens to be my son-in-law. And so you will have to check those things out for yourself to see if brother Bones' judgment is accurate.

A word of caution on the Scofield Reference Bible (if you get one), make sure it is the "Old" Scofield Reference Bible and NOT any other Scofield Reference Bible {too much "confusion" in regards to the "New Scofield bibles": i.e - Are they truly Scofield Reference Bibles, or not? Are they truly King James Bibles, or not?} To avoid the "confusion", and to insure that you are getting "C. I. Scofield's" work (and not the "works" of some scholars who are trying to "ride" on the popularity of a departed saint of God) make sure you get the "Old" Scofield.

The very idea that a group of "Christian" scholars could take the legacy (i.e. Scofield's own study notes, etc.) of a departed servant of God and re-write some of his work and still call it a "SCOFIELD" Reference Bible; and then CHANGE parts of THE TEXT of the HOLY BIBLE and STILL call it a King James Bible, is indicative of just how far modern "bible scholars" (scholarship) has SUNK when it comes to HONESTY & INTEGRITY! And how far modern day "Christians" will STOOP to make a DOLLAR (off of a departed fellow brother in Christ - who can no longer object to the MISUSE of his life's work!)

After I got saved in October 1958 I attended services with the "brethren" churches for a while, and their Bible of choice was the Scofield Reference Bible (there was ONLY ONE at that time and it was a King James Text - OF COURSE!). I purchased one at that time and used it for about 10-12 years (although I never really relied on Scofield's notes). I also had a Thompson's Chain (which, once again, I never relied on his notes either).

Once I became aware of the "Which Bible" issue (1968) I stopped using "Reference" Bibles to read out of, and simply went to a "plain" (readable) King James Bible for my reading and study. About ten years later I stopped writing comments and nearly all references IN my Bible and instead I have used large yellow note pads for those purposes instead. If you are more "computer literate" than I am, SwordSearcher can be used in place of the yellow pads.

The following links are some comments that I have made on this Forum in regards to "Study" or "Reference" Bibles. I hope they may be of some help to you:

http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...39&postcount=1
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...67&postcount=4
http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...6&postcount=19