View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
To understand the freedom you have to day, I at least am curious as to how those ex-latin-using baby sprinkling pagans" (the folks who had the courage to defy the roman catholic church) as you call them, came to begin to understand then, under the "rule of the roman church" the glen of light and truth that today afford us the freedom in Christ we can now understand and enjoy. I prefer to be curious to understand, rather then pigeon holing a group of people at the faults of others.
The operative part of my statement was "ex". I don't think the founders of the Anabaptists were pagans, but they were for the most part "ex" Catholic pagans.

To answer your question, a lot of them could read Hebrew and Greek (like the edition put out by Erasmus, another reformation era Catholic). Granted, a lot of them did read the Latin texts, but those texts were (at that point in time) pretty corrupt (I think the Old Latin texts, which we now have only fragments of, were more in line with the TR). So, these reformers were able to piece together a more solid doctrinal position which led to their speration.

EDIT: I just had another look at my post and it does look like I was saying that they still are pagans. That wasn't what I was trying to say. Sorry for the confusion.

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen