Thread: Being Perfect?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Christian View Post
I know that we won't be sinless until glory, but Paul said we could be "perfect":
2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Philippians 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
What do you think it means to be perfect? How does one become perfect in this life?
Those are some good thoughts, brother. I think context tells us that sometimes "perfect" places more emphasis on growing and maturing in Christ and in good works. (See 2 Timothy 3:17 above.) But in other passages it seems absolute.

When you posted your thoughts, my mind went to:
Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
How is it possible for anyone to be perfect as the Heavenly Father is perfect? Are we? It's difficult to accept this reality because we live in our sinful mortality, but in Christ we are perfect!
2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
The righteousness of God is unchangeable. It's mine in Christ. Is that amazing grace or what?
1 John 3:8-9 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
Absolute. Final. Finished. Thank you Heavenly Father for the undeserved, unearned, unmerited riches of Thy grace through the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen and Amen.