View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPeak View Post
I wonder if Christians today take the existence and influence of Satan seriously. With Jesus' pointed declaration on who Satan is, one would think we would make sure our bibles are accurate about it.

Jesus stated, "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." - John 8:44

That sums it up pretty well. Satan is a murderer and a liar and lusts after death and deception. Where there is death and deception, we will find Satan.
I don't know why many believers choose to ignore or downplay Satan's influence in the believer's life, in the church body and in the world. It’s not exactly a topic full of fun but it is a necessary one.

5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 5:9 Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

We are to resist him stedfast in the faith so how do we do that if we don't understand all that God has taught us about Satan and his kingdom and if we neglect to put that teaching into action.

In the world, and unfortunately in the church, people are involved with the occult. Whether or not one's personal understanding of scripture allows that christians can be demon possessed or oppressed is not really relevant. Believers and unbelievers alike are receiving demons from the bizarre practices of charismatic churches like slaying in the spirit, and in occult practices outside of the church.

Believers disagree over whether or not a christian can be demon possessed or oppressed because he has the Holy Spirit residing in him. Isn't the important thing to help that brother or sister who appears to be afflicted in this way? Is it helpful to tell him/her that "we can't cast demons out of you because you are a christian and by our definition you can't have any demons". Or alternately, "You appear to be demonized so you can't be a born again christian". The second scenario is the best for the demonized christian because he can say 'OK, if you say I can't be a christian and be demonized let's pretend I'm not a Christian so you’ll help me cast those demons out of me!!! "

It's so ironic that the more doctrinally correct a group of believers is the less they are open to addressing these very real and widespread concerns. Anyone who comes out of occultism usually has no choice but to go to some charismatic ministry for help. How much help they usually receive is questionable. I think that much of the time they end up in a worse state than they began in.

This is just my own humble opinion, of course.