View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
I am wondering which words these are.
Matthew, back in the late 80s in America we have what is called Public TV, supported by private donations, and at that time had a series called The History Of English. There was a book that was published concurrent to the show. In the show they pointed out in 1601 there were 5 dialects of English with 3 "foreign" indigenous tongues. The dialects were North, South, East Midlands, West Miidlands, and Kent. The 3 languages were Welsh, Celt, and Gaelic. By 1631, 20 years after the publication of the KJV, there was one dialect and the indigenous languages had fallen into disuse.

This show pointed out the vocabulary of the KJV as being under 6000 words, with the 8 that were declared "archaic and obsolete." I suppose the book is around and probably copies of the show. My Cambridge ring binder notebook KJV had those 8 words on a page in the back, my copy is rotting in some dump someplace after my mother and I were dispossessed of our home and all our possessions in a bank foreclosure scam. God bless America. Right

I can't get over Norris claiming "6000-20,000 obsolete words" The total vocabulary of the KJV is only 6000. Has he been sniffing paint? He is saying every word in the KJV is obsolete. He's saying words that are not in the vocabulary are obsolete. a 20,000 word vocabulary is 4000 under the total used by Shakespeare, which was written in Elizabethan English, not Jacobean, as the KJV was.

I think Jack chick here in America has it dead on: The Jesuits as just as active today as they were in the 1500s. I read these people and think, Kutilek? Jesuit. James White? Jesuit. But to step into the intellectual manhole Norris has, claiming that the number of "obsolete" words a book has exceeds it's vocabulary by over 3 times is too much for even the Jesuits to accept.

Grace and peace brother.

Tony