View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM

You keep insisting that "without form" means destruction. That is one meaning of the word, but the primary meaning is "lie waste". I believe God "formed" the earth when he made the dry land appear.

Isa 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

And earth was made for man, not God.

Psalms 115:16 The heaven, even the heavens, are the LORD'S: but the earth hath he given to the children of men.

Notice in Isa 45:18 that it says God formed the earth to be inhabited. So, God's purpose was to make the dry land appear for man to live upon the earth. Man could not have lived upon a world "without form" covered in water.

Have you ever worked with clay? When you first start you have a big ball or lump of clay. It is "without form". When you shape the clay, it takes on form (features), even if they are simple. Well, this is how I view Gen 1:2, the earth was just a ball of water without features. But when the land appeared, now the earth is formed and has features. It is all simple.