View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Scott's Comments on 2Timothy 2:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simons View Post
Not a good choice to defend lost of salvation.

I am having a little problem with;

[KJ] Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

Is not verse more for establishing hope and love than doctrine?

Just a thought

Aloha brother Scott,

I cannot understand why you should have "a little problem" with 2 Timothy 2:15. What is the "problem"? This verse is not found in almost all of the English "per-versions" - and yet it is the "KEY" to understanding God's word (words). The modern English "per-versions" have REMOVED the verse from God's Holy Scriptures - WHY would you want to CHANGE it?

[Proverbs 8:8 All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.
9 They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.
]

Not everything in the Bible is about "love" and "hope". If you will check out the whole Book of 2 Timothy you will find that the word "love" doesn't even show up in the 2nd. or 3rd. Chapters! The word "hope" doesn't show up in the whole Book! WHY would you "INSERT" WORDS into God's word that aren't there?

I have painstakingly tried to demonstrate to you (and others), out of the Scriptures, WHY "rightly dividing the word of truth" is so extremely important for all Christians to understand, and WHY we must obey God's command to "study" according to His instructions or else we are going to be ashamed.

The verse is perfectly clear. There is no ambiguity or mystery involved. I broke it down so even a "babe" in Christ could understand it {If they want to}:
  • Study - "the word of Truth"
  • We Study - to seek God's "Approval"
  • Study = "Work" {i.e. "workman"}
  • We Study - so that we won't be "Ashamed"
  • When we do Study - we MUST rightly divide "the word of truth"
This verse is NOT about "love" or "hope"! It's about STUDY! It's about WHY we are to study! It's about the fact the study of God's word is WORK! It's about the fact that if you want God's APPROVAL - you must STUDY (God's word)! It's about the principle that when you do STUDY - you MUST RIGHTLY DIVIDE "the word of truth"!

1 Corinthians 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

Hebrews 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reasonof use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

You are having "a little problem" with something that is "basic" and "easy to understand" - how are you going to understand the "deep things of God"? [1Corinthians 2:10]. Bible believers don't have "a little problem" with any part of the Scriptures. They may have a "little problem" understanding a verse, BUT they NEVER have a "problem" with the Scriptures themselves.

You have a lot of questions (and that's fine), but you have got to become like the Bereans [Acts 17:11] who searched the Scriptures whether a thing was so. As you study the Bible - accept the words (where they stand & as they stand); don't try to figure out the "meaning" (or you will "insert" your own thoughts into the Scriptures); and don't rely on earthly wisdom in trying to understand God's Holy words, instead - seek out the Holy Spirit's guidance on an issue and receive "the love of the truth" [2Thessalonians 2:10]

The Holy Spirit will "guide you into all truth" - BUT, you MUST be WILLING to ACCEPT it and NOT continually QUESTION it.