View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJamesReader View Post
I was reading in my bible last night and I read something that kind of left me
confused. In the book of Acts 2:27 - Acts 2:31 - Psalms 16:10 - Psalms 49:15- Hos. 13:14 - 1 Corinthians 15:54 .Did Jesus Christ go to hell for us ? I know that Jesus suffered a great deal for us and he layed down his life for us but I would love to know if any of you understand this part.
Hi KJR, I for one DO believe that our Lord Jesus Christ went to the very fires of hell, for the following reasons:

1. His soul was a burnt offering for sin in hell.
2. He purged our sins in hell.

Hell in the Bible is the place of torment in the centre of earth where the damned go, there there is fire, pain, and suffering. Abraham's bosom (where the souls of the OT saints rested while waiting for Christ) is also in the heart of the earth but it is never called "hell", hell and Ab's bosom are two different places separated by a great gulf or space.

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The writer of Acts confirms that the soul of Christ went to "hell", but was not left there, both in Acts 2:27 & Acts 2:31.[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Here is the key to understanding this stuff:[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The Passover lamb in Exodus was a type of the coming sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ. He was the one, true, Passover Lamb. [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']1 Corinthians 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']There is a full description of the Passover in Exodus 12:1-10. From this passage we learn the following about the passover lamb:

Christ being our true Passover lamb must have been anointed on the tenth day of the month. On the 14th day he was killed...
- by the whole assembly (Matthew 27:25)
- in the evening (Matthew 27:45)
- He was given no water (Matthew 27:34; John 19:28)
- He was roast with fire (Isaiah 53:10a)

Isaiah 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']
Ephesians 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']
Christ’s soul, in the heart of the earth, was made an "offering for sin".

Here is the mention of the offering and sacrifice. As the Lamb of God he was both and is pictured so in the Old Testament (Exodus 29:41; Hebrews 13:11-12). Christ sanctified us with his blood and also suffered like the body of the lamb by being burned.

Hebrews 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Isaiah 6:6 Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar: 7 And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.

[/FONT]