View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 02:54 PM

I agree with CKG.

The word repent does not mean turn from sins, else God is a sinner.

Gen 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Exo 32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Psalms 106:45 And he remembered for them his covenant, and repented according to the multitude of his mercies.

There are many verses besides these that say God repented. As God cannot sin, then surely repent is not defined as turning from sin. It means to change one's mind, to think differently, to decide differently.

In Acts 17, Paul is telling the Athenians to turn from their false gods to the true God and trust on Jesus Christ. Now, it is a sin to worship false gods, so in this sense he is telling them to turn from sin. But the real message was to change their thinking.

Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device. 30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

In Luke it is the same. These persons believed themselves righteous because God was good to them, and believed others were great sinners who God punished.

Luke 13:1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. 2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? 3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. 4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

So, see here how Jesus addresses their thoughts, not actions. He is telling them that they must realize that they too are sinners in danger of perishing. They should see their sin.

Here is a very example.

Luke 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. 12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. 13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

The Pharisee needed to change his opinion of himself. He needed to realize he was a sinner. He needed to quit trusting in his own righteousness and trust in Jesus. This is what repent means.

And notice the publican. He did not promise to quit sinning, though it is obvious he was very ashamed of himself. But he came to Christ and depended on him and was forgiven.

Jesus does not save us because we promise to quit sinning. Any honest Christian will tell you that they still have problems with sin after receiving Christ. I know I have.

Jesus came to save the UNGODLY, not the godly.

Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

And when Jesus healed the sick, it was a picture of salvation. Imagine telling a blind man, "when you start seeing, I will forgive you", or telling a cripple, "when you start walking, I will forgive you". No, when the sick came to Jesus, many truly believed they were horrible sinners and this is why they were afflicted, this was the teaching of the day. In most cases you see them crying out for mercy.

Matt 9:27 And when Jesus departed thence, two blind men followed him, crying, and saying, Thou Son of David, have mercy on us. 28 And when he was come into the house, the blind men came to him: and Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord. 29 Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.

Just as these blind men could not see until AFTER Jesus healed them, we cannot truly do good until AFTER Jesus saves us.

Last edited by Winman; 04-01-2009 at 03:06 PM.