Thread: For my family
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why I Eyes Ya! View Post
Please can you pray for my wife and I? We've not been married very long and both occasionally suffer from clinical depression. As a result, our home-life is suffering and I'm pretty confused/tired most of the time.
First off congratulations on your marriage. My prayers for you and your wife as you start your life together. Those first few years of adjustment are... interesting. The years where you grow from "love" to commitment. The years that tend to make or break a couple. This is harder these days when the world teaches self-happiness of the individual... instead of commitment to marriage itself.

You didn't ask for advice, but I thought I'd share a couple of things. Brandon (Diligent) and I have been married almost 14 years now and we've had our mountains and valleys. I could have been labeled with "depression" a few times over the years and these are a few things that I have learned. A few things to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Amen. It's one thing to treat ailments of the body with medicines. It's another thing entirely to try to treat ailments of the heart and spirit in the same way.
I think when we try to medicate away the symptoms of dealing with adversity in life we fail to learn from the issues and miss out on valuable growth.

Quote:
When you exercise you will break down muscle tissue in the body. Over a period of continuous destroying and rebuilding, your muscles will grow and adapt to the strain you put on it.
Consider how muscle growth and strength comes from pushing the muscles, breaking down, destroying and rebuilding. So it is with other things in life.

Quote:
John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
Where does our peace come from? Are we promised life be easy? Who has overcome the world? Why in today's world do WE try to overcome the world and expect life to be trouble free?

Quote:
2 Corinthians 11:23-28 Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft. Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.
Just look at all the things Paul went through...

Quote:
2Co 12:9-10 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

How did he deal with it? What did he learn through it?

Quote:
Philippians 4:6-9 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
I find that most issues with "depression" come from having an unrealistic view of how people THINK things should be. (Part of this is comparison to others...) And what people think they deserve/want. Another unrealistic view that seems to add to this is that God is a "genie in a bottle" granting our wishes and prayers. He promises what we NEED, "the peace of God, which passeth all understanding,".

Quote:
Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
This includes the various trials and valleys that we go through. If God is giving them to us for a reason then we need to learn from it... and grow from it...not wallow in it ... and not medicate it away. When we go through trials praising God and clinging to his word that is an example to others. Others see this and who knows maybe those others are the part of the reason you were blessed with this trial.