View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kns215 View Post
Hello,

I have a question on the difference between Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit. I thought those two were the same but in different names. But when I read the preface of KJ21, it read:

"For your ease of reading, we have replaced obsolete and archaic words by the most exact modern synonyms, painstakingly chosen so as to ensure no change in meaning. For example, ... Holy Ghost by Holy Spirit. These are only a few examples among many."

And I was thinking if someone asked me why it is wrong to change from Holy Ghost by Holy Spirit, I wouldn't be able to give a detailed answer on that other than explaining why the words of God should not be changed.

So please help me here.
Thank you!
Here's what Millard J. Erickson said about it in "Christian Theology" 2nd edition, p.863:
"Complicating this matter is the unfortunate terminology of the King James Version and other older English translations, which refer to the Holy Spirit as the "Holy Ghost." Many persons who grew up using these versions of the Bible conceive the Holy Spirit as something inside a white sheet."

Is that so? So people read the King James Bible and think the third person of the Trinity is flying around like Casper? Like a bad Halloween costume? I don't think so. I still remember reading that in seminary and thinking, "That has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard from a theologian." From that point in the class on, anytime I ever wrote or spoke about the Holy Spirit, I made it a point to refer to Him as the HOLY GHOST. I don't know why that bothered me so much at the time, but it ticked me off pretty good.