Thread: SWORD Wars
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Doxa

Default My reply

If you look at my messages here on this thread, I am not at all, in no way, stating that we should not support our dialogue using Scripture or using the Bible to support our message or to use Scripture!!!! I believe you all know that if you read the rest of what I said. I am talking about using THE WHOLE WORD OF GOD and NOT cut and paste the Bible. I tell you what, I have seen people (this was at another forum some years ago) use the Bible to show that it was Scriptural that they CAN beat their wives...
Yes indeed.
I will give another example. We could use Scripture to show that we are to pray for and bless our enemies and forgive 7 x 70.
Yet, other Scriptures tell us to NOT cast our pearls before swine. Another verse says don't even let certain people into your homes.
So how exactly do we respond to these enemies or neighbors?
What does that prove?
It shows us carefully that we must tread with the Lord Jesus in all cases as we would be doing great disservice to our neighbor if we were to "select" verses that please us. It is the Lord Jesus Who tells us what to do in the cases we are in, such as dealing with our neighbor or enemy. It shows us that God gives us indeed allowances when God shows us that we do not need to cast our pearls any longer, but not by our suits, but by God's deliverance, HIM speaking to our hearts.
We could even go so far, where Jesus said we are to hate our mother, sister, brother.... but yet Jesus said we are to LOVE and bless. But we can really skew Scripture to please ourselves, unless we read more of the Bible and realize that Jesus is telling us that HE comes first in Who we love, so that our actions are righteous. I could go on and on. If one really looks at what Jesus taught in the Gospels, one might conclude that we are to love others more than God because of HIS message, but then we would be a big mess! But God has HIS order and we are to LOVE HIM THE MOST then everything falls into place. (There is a place where it says everything culminates in "love your neighbor as yourself".)
Oh dear, I better quote it to avoid another misunderstanding...
Gal 5:14-15

14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
KJV

MY POINT again is that I am making, is that those who choose to use Scripture in a "biased way" in whatever way that suits, are using the Word un-righteously.
People who teach need to know all of Scripture and rightly lay it out.
That is my point.
All I am saying is that we should humbly and carefully and prayerfully and lovingly use God's Word.

And is it not obvious, for every mean spirited person who throws someone verses, the other can find some to throw back, and then more verses are lashed out until exhausted and by that time everyone is quite confused and went down rabbit trails and everyone is just plain mad and still no one is quite sure what the exact point was sometimes??? Am I the only one who has seen this time and time again on forums?

This is what one calls SWORD Wars.