View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 06:51 PM

If we confess our sins, he is faithful...

I, too, believe that 1 John is written by one of the twelve apostles to the twelve tribes. When taken doctrinally, the "if's" such as in 1 John 1:7 make the fellowship with the Son and the cleansing blood of Christ conditional. 1 John 1:9 may also be used by works advocates to teach that "if" we fail to "confess our sins", we will not be forgiven and cleansed from all unrighteousness.

But unlike the "hyper-grace" (although I don't really fear labels), I believe all Scripture is profitable (2Tim.3:16) practically. 1 John 1:7 and 1:9, if applied spiritually to the Christian in this age, this teaches that we our out of fellowship (in the practical sense, but not in the positional sense) with Christ if we do not walk in the light and do not confess our sins.

I know that many would agree that there are three applications of Scripture: historical setting, doctrinal interpretation, and practical application. I see no problem with saying 1 John is doctrinally not applicable to the Church Age saint, but there sure is a big problem in teaching that 1 John can never be applied to the Church Age saint in the practical sense.

This is not to say that I never use "general" doctrines out of 1 John. 1 John 1:7 is my favorite verse to refute the doctrine and purpose of purgatory, for the "blood of Jesus Christ cleanseth us from all sin". 1 John 1:9 is also my favorite verse in refuting confession to a human being (such as a priest) for the Bible says, "If we confess our sins, HE IS FAITHFUL AND JUST to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness." Only Christ can do that.

Now, I do not believe in confessing your SINS one to another. I do believe, as James says, in confessing our faults one to another, but never SINS.