View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 10:23 PM
ok.book.guy

Very sound reasoning brother Jerry! If it were not for the TR we wouldn't have the KJV/AV. Quite true. "But now that we have it" is my perspective. Now that we have it, I cannot be helped by appealing to Strong's greek lexicon because I do not know greek grammar nor the koine idiom. To really bring this point home, try doing a word study in the spanish valera bible, using a lexicon in spanish etc. . . I know spanish but
I can't do anything but hurt myself from that exercise. Try it and see what I mean. Then ask yourself TWO questions while your doing it. #1 Why? Why am i deferring to God's preserved word in a different language? You may just as well do word studies in the French Olivetan as to do them in the Greek TR. While its true that the TR was instrumental in the rise of these other versions (Spanish, French, English) it is not true that the Greek trumps any of them.
#2 Why is it one so so often hears English speakers making appeals to the Greek TR but almost never one hears appeals to the French or Spanish? Why is that? WHY? The answer is, there is this stubborn nagging MINDSET that we can't seem to shake off that the Greek really does get one closer to God's real word. That somehow we're still sort of artificially isolated from His real word unless we "get into the Greek". As if it trumps the English.

I began using Strong's lexicon very seriously in 1972. I had heard a preacher quote from the "original Greek" and was smitten with the idea of being able to do that myself! Note: This was basically never heard of before (at least in these parts). It was a "revelation" that the bible was really a product of the Greek and that if one was really dedicated, he would pay the price and "get into the Greek".

I honestly hear you brother Jerry when you say you use it to help you understand the english bible. I do not want to put words into your mouth. Honestly.

I recall being so impressed with the example of Ulrich Zwingli, who when he obtained his first copy of the Erasmus Greek text, he said "Nothing shall stand between me and learning Greek". That's wonderful. But that was then.
My point is: THIS is now. We have God's actual word in english in our hands, and we make more profitable appeals when we appeal to the early english dictionaries than when we appeal to the dictionaries of another language.

But my perspective on this issue is that an app