View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 03:47 PM
mgc1952

Hi Mike,

I think the verse in question deals with the fact that there will be some who will look godly, but they have not let the power of God truly work in bringing them to repentance and truly let the power of the gospel change them from who they were.

That is why there are dead and dying churches. They have bought into an easy believism. Since so much of the church can look like the world today they think that salvation does not cost them a true change.

When the apostles became followers of Jesus it cost them something. It cost them their jobs. It cost them who they had been as Jesus began to work on them in the areas of their character.

The power of the gospel, its agent in our lives is the Holy Ghost. If we don't let the Holy Ghost work on us we will only have the outward form. The power of God, the power of Jesus is the Holy Spirit at work in us, empowering us for change as long as we are willing to change.

I'm a fellow pentecostal, but to tell you the truth I have gotten tired of the labels. If somebody asks me what I am I say a Christian. And I didn't say that as a put down. I am just (a preacher disabled and on the sidelines for now) tired of the labels.

God bless to all,

Mark