View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Brother Pbiwolski wrote: You have to admit, Paul writes to the church plainly about our position in Christ, and everyone here seems to grasp that. Yet, here in I John, things get murky, and phrasing and wording becomes intricate and sometimes hard to reconcile on the surface with Paul's plain foundation. The explanation is this: There is a practical application and a literal application of John's writings (some unfamiliar with sound and right division will flip out here). The practical will match a Christian's daily walk and supply teaching for you and I today. The literal will yield doctrine aimed at a saint in the tribulation, and instruction for "keeping himself" (5:18).
As always, your comments require careful contemplation. Just so I will know for sure what you are saying let me ask:

Does this apply to me today? Yes or no.
1Jo 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
1Jo 2:23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.
1Jo 2:24 Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.
1Jo 2:25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.
1Jo 2:26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
1Jo 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
1Jo 2:28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.
1Jo 2:29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.
Let me ask you regarding the verses below. Is this written for me today? Yes or no. If it is written for me today, is it doctrine (position) or practical application (progressive) or both?
1 John 3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
1 John 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

1 John 3:8
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
I am simply attempting to understand what you think is a practical application and a literal application of John's writings in the above referenced verses.