View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 01:33 PM

First of all, I used a "Pauline" illustration to convey the truth of the practical application of scripture to daily Christian living. Now that we're in John's epistles, we've crossed an "invisible line" in one regard - that is, there is some application to someone in the future here.

You have to admit, Paul writes to the church plainly about our position in Christ, and everyone here seems to grasp that. Yet, here in I John, things get murky, and phrasing and wording becomes intricate and sometimes hard to reconcile on the surface with Paul's plain foundation. The explanation is this: There is a practicle application and a literal application of John's writings (some unfamiliar with sound and right division will flip out here). The practicle will match a Christian's daily walk and supply teaching for you and I today. The literal will yield doctrine aimed at a saint in the tribulation, and instruction for "keeping himself" (5:18).

Remember, not all of that Book was written doctrinally TO you (yes, I'm familiar with II Tim. 3:16). The saint during the tribulation will pick that Book up and find out exactly what he is to do (with the help of a couple of Jehovah's true "witnesses"!).

Now, the practicle application for you and I in much of I John is obtained by realizing the two natures of the believer. You can study the passages and see where the old man or new man is addressed, practically.
I John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin;
New man or old man?

That's easy. The new creature is created in Christ Jesus unto good works and Paul says when he sins (in Rom. 7:17-18) "Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing:"

Now a literal application of much of the book insists upon one keeping commandments and doing righteousness, etc. I'll back this up more if necessary.

Something else to consider. Notice near the end of the second chapter:

2:28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

The command is to abide in him. Is this a doctrinal command to the "little children" whose "sins are forgiven you" (vs12)? Can they fall out of Christ? OR is the command in connection to their daily walk?

If they disobey the exhortation, chances are that they will be "ashamed before him at his coming." If they disobey the exhortation, then they (little children) will not be abiding in him. Doctrinal or Practical?

You decide. (You can believe what you want to where you want to, but in a perfect Book, it has to match up EVERYWHERE, or somewhere the teaching is wrong.)

2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
2:10-11 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.
3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

If you try to apply the end of that last verse literally to you and I, then by your own recent admission...(you see what I mean?)