View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Steve Schwenke

Default observations

Folks, I haven't been on this forum in awhile, but for some weird reason, this thread caught my eye. I have not read the Love and Race thread (don't intend too...time thing, ya' know!!!), but it is evident that there is some carry over from that thread. Here are my observations:

Despite Custer's "loud" objections, they have merit. George, you never answered her arguments. You just slammed her for "attacking" you, which I don't think she did. She may have been very forceful in her arguments, but she made valid points, and gave you 17 verses that you never answered her on.

The Judges 14:18 passage (which I realize is a sidelight to the main event) was interesting. I was raised in an independent, fundamental Baptist church, Christian school, etc. I have NEVER heard that this refered to "marital relations." I have always heard it as Custer put it. They used her against Samson to get information. The text is clear. If the 30 of them had raped her, chances are she would be dead...like the woman in Judges 19, which really showed the depths of depravity in Israel. The three commentaries somebody provided didn't deal with the context. It certainly shows how sheltered I have been in my life, but it doesn't prove that the passage MUST be interpretted to mean that they raped her, or abused her. The context is clear - they used her to get information to put Samson in a bad position, and he knew it.

In the end, good discussion. Heat is good. It is better when there are two sides discussing the issue, even if it is a little "hot." Too bad nobody bothered to answer the main points of Custer's arguments!

In the end, it was nice to see everyone cool down. We may not all agree, but we are all on the same side, and we are all fighting the same enemies!

In Christ
Pastor Steve Schwenke