Thread: Bad tracts
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Tandy,

When I was saved, it was also by Jack Chick's tract "This was your life". I've never responded to an altar call for salvation. You'll notice if you read the thread that I was in disagreement with the OP about Jack Chick teaching lordship salvation.

Having said that though, despite being convicted of sin, I still sin. In fact, I struggle with sin habitually.

So when someone comes along saying that simple faith in Christ won't cut the mustard, and that one must turn from sins to be saved, I, a poor struggler, get very upset at the hopeless situation I appear to be in.

On the one hand, I cry out to God for deliverance from sin daily. And yet I still commit it. According to popular preachers today (Washer, Comfort & MacArthur), the evidence is against me. According to them, I am not in obedient submission to God's laws.

Now, someone like you might say that I am not saved. But what would I have to do to be saved in your books.. stop sinning? that's make my salvation based on works. Would I have to be convicted of sin? Well, I already am, and I hate it. So I am stuck in this middle ground where I believe on Christ, but I struggle with sin, want to stop sinning, and doubt my salvation. I never prayed any "prayer of salvation". I never answered an altar call. As a young anglican man of 19, I read a gospel tract that showed me my real condition and believed on Jesus Christ.

And now, I don't even know if I am saved anymore (I don't mean I lost it. I mean I don't KNOW anymore. I did know at one stage. I thought I did anyway). Not because of you. But because the simple belief I thought was enough is not enough anymore according to half of Christianity... I don't know if I am saved and have God's grace to continue to overcome sin. So how can I do it? Pray for repentance? I've prayed and prayed and prayed that God would repent me. That God would turn my heart to him from sin. I've prayed and prayed for assurance and got none. I've prayed to know whether I am saved or not and got no answer.

All I can do is believe, but apparently that's not even enough anymore.

I can't see myself as lost, because I believe on Jesus Christ as Saviour. I can't see myself as saved, because there is sin in my life that I want to quit, but struggle with. So what do I do? I'm either lost or saved.. I'm not in the middle, I know that.

And then I see you tandy, coming along, using a heap of terms I am familiar with... mental assent, head knowledge, using the word reprobates in the way you have, saying that God "grants" repentance unto life (I know it's in the Bible, but the verse you used was referring to the gentiles as a whole. Not all of them repented. He also gave the jews repentance (Acts 5:31). I've seen your type before. Other men's experiences don't match yours so you doubt their salvation like you doubted your own..

I am upset, concerned over my condition, and I am sorry if I am responding poorly to you.
You are going to come out the other side a good soldier for Christ Luke. How do I know this? You are honest and don;t hide behind anything.

Iopray for you daily and the 40 days in the wilderness for you will be over, and you will be just a greater warrior for the ordeal. All of us are in the same condition with you Luke, and that is not marginalizing your situation, you are very honest before God and your family in the Lord.

Grace and peace Luke

Tony