View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmonk View Post
Keep in mind that receiving can quite often mean believing something as it is given to you. Here are some examples.

1 Thessalonians 1:6

6And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost.

1 Thessalonians 2:13

13For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

Acts 2:33

33Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Acts 2:41

41Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Acts 8:14

14Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

There are far far more examples, but these should do enough to prove my point.
I agree with Monk here, "receiving", believing, accepting, are all tied inseparably together. The Thessalonians "received" the word of God, accepted it and believed it to be the word of God, not the word of men, and I think is the passages that cross-refers to this verse in John perfectly.

Grace and peace

Tony