View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 09:26 AM

Default Chuck Missler

Hi Folks,

Chuck Missler (Kononia House) properly keeps verses 6-8 together as one section, based on these notes from Keith Knight. And focuses on the words.

http://keith.knight.kuyasa.com/psalms.pdf
The Book of Psalms - compiled by Chuck Missler.

6] The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth,
purifi ed seven times.
7] Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
8] The wicked walk on every side, when the vilest men are exalted.

His words are pure; flawless; can be relied upon. He exalts His Word even above His Name (Ps 138:2). The things that God abhors have become “exalted” in our entertainments.

And in their publication "How We Got Our Bible" the following verses are properly placed together, all referencing the purity, authority and preservation of God's word.

http://learn.scottenterprise.com/notes/hwgob.pdf
How We Got Our Bible

• Psalm 12:6, 7:
The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried
in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve
them from this generation for ever.

• Isaiah 40:8:
The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of
our God shall stand for ever.

• Deut 12:32: What thing soever I command you,
observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish
from it.

• Matthew 24:35: Heaven and earth shall pass away,
but my words shall not pass away.

• Jeremiah 26:2: Thus saith the LORD; Stand in the
court of the LORD’S house, and speak unto all the
cities of Judah, which come to worship in the LORD’S
house, all the words that I command thee to speak unto
them; diminish not a word:

• Mark 8:38: Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of
me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful
generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed,
when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy
angels.

• Psalm 138:2: I will worship toward thy holy temple,
and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy
truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy
name.

Now Chuck Missler (Calvary Chapel heritage before K-House) tends to problematic and dubious stuff, such as referencing Ivan Panin on scripture numerics. Even a milquetoast Frederick Kenyon quote about "substantial integrity" is under the verses. And while Missler "returned to the King James Version of the Bible" (The Armor of God - 1996) there is lots of little "correction" stuff. Nonetheless above he properly expresses at least a bit of the concept of the preservation of the word of God from Psalm 12.

Oh, I found his book "The Search for Messiah" with Mark Eastman (who did the techie research) a reasonably interesting read a few years ago. At least as a starting point into the "Messianic Expections" issues. Risto Santala is listed in the bibliography of the page, an excellent read on the messianic expectations topic, fully on the net with about four books. Risto is a Finnish author, translated into English and Hebrew, who is well-versed in the Hebraics.

Please understand, this thread is designed to be multi-dimensional. On one end we discuss the excellent historic commentators, also the age of rationalist commentaries, also the song and poetry oriented, and also some of the well-known modern Christian authors. And more. I say this to short-circuit some potential criticism. You may find one or two of the groupings not your taste or style. However bear with, and read and appreciate the rest !

Once I saw one of the nicest groupings of scriptures together from the Chuck Missler writings .. he made the cut ! (In general I also appreciate when folks actually include the full verses, instead of look-up verse references.) Beyond that you can see his Bible versions struggles .. where for a modern Christian writer he is better than most, yet still with severe difficulties.

Shalom,
Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery; 02-21-2009 at 09:39 AM.