Thread: Gap Theory
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvw View Post
The only problems I see with saying this verse is a crystal clear refutation is the fact that it really isn't clear that Gen 1:1 & 2 are included in the first day....

...and the fact that darkness exists before God makes the light, and we aren't told when the deep is made.

It also doesn't say THE heaven or THE earth. It just says heaven (which heaven is it? first, second, third?), and it just says earth, which could easily just be dry ground, and sea, which, like earth, could just be the water that was brought into one place on THE earth.
Brother Kevin, please forgive my “uneducated” answer. I’ve not read any material on the GAP theory, believe it or not, so my understanding is from what I perceive the scriptures to teach, not from well learned men. Here it goes.

Personally, I believe verses 1-5 represent one day.
Genesis 1:1-5 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
Here’s why.
Genesis 1:1 says, of course, “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.”
Genesis 1:31 says, “And God saw every thing that he had made [to include the heaven and the earth], and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.”
Genesis 2:3 says, “And God blessed the seventh day, [which comes after day six ] and sanctified it: [it, referring to the seventh day] because that in it [it, referring to the seventh day] he had rested from all his work [all His work to include the work in the beginning when He created the heaven and the earth] which God created and made [including the heaven and the earth]”
Based on my understanding of scripture, I simply believe that “all his work” which “God created and made,” to include the “heaven and the earth” which, again “God created, in the beginning” which He “rested from” on the “seventh day” was very good.

Quote:
You wrote referring to Exodus 20:11, "For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." The only problems I see with saying this verse is a crystal clear refutation is the fact that it really isn't clear that Gen 1:1 & 2 are included in the first day....
That's true, it's not clear. So rather than speculate, I take what scripture does give us. If you know of any other scriptures that infer a GAP existed between “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth” and “…God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made,” I’m open to it.

Quote:
You also wrote: ...and we aren't told when the deep is made. It also doesn't say THE heaven or THE earth. It just says heaven (which heaven is it? first, second, third?), and it just says earth, which could easily just be dry ground, and sea, which, like earth, could just be the water that was brought into one place on THE earth.
Your right, we’re not told when the "deep" is made. The scripture simply says, in Genesis 1:2, “And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.”

Evidently, when, "in the beginning God created the heaven and the earth", it included the “deep” and the “waters.” Obviously, God did not divide something that was not already there. And scripture does not clarify a separate time the “deep” and “waters” were created.

Based on this, my conclusion is that the deep and the waters were included when “in the beginning God created the heaven and the earth” and on the second day “…God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so. And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day” (Genesis 1:7-8). Do you know of any other scriptures that support a GAP of time?