View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Forum Administrator

Not easy to define, but this is the most helpful verse, IMO:
2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Heresy must then be something "pretty big." Anything that misrepresents Christ and his work is heretical. Also note "privily." Most heretics I've seen (at least the dangerous ones) are not always obvious at first glace. They get into things and then start spreading there heresies.

Heretics cause divisions in fellowship:
1 Corinthians 11:18-19 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

But it's not only division, it's division contrary to sound doctrine:
Romans 16:17-18 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
Also, heretics are shown to be foolish questioners and bring up striving in the law:
Titus 3:9-10 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain. A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;