View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 PM

Brother, the thread began with questions about CCM and its use in Worship today. I posted those scriptures because I remembered studying Amos a few months ago, and reading Adam Clarkes commentary concerning verse 5. Many times in my life, without ever asking anyone, I wondered why a Church [such as some CofC's, primitive baptists, etc.] would not allow even a piano in the Church since instruments are mentioned so often in the Bible, and when I ran across that verse and commentary, I put 2 and 2 together and I assume how Adam Clarke felt [back in 1826] was how many felt about musical instruments back then and some still today...What I really thought was interesting was how he elaborated on the word chant:
Quote:
The word הפרטים happoretim, which we render chant, and the margin quaver, signifies to dance, to skip, etc. In the sight of such a text, fiddlers, drummers, waltzers, etc., may well tremble, who perform to excite detestable passions.
and the reason it is interesting to me is that I can't imagine that he had the same kind of services back then that I have been to and see on tv today, yet it sounds eerily familiar; that is the reason I posted those scriptures and commentary. Yes music is mentioned in the Bible, we also know that in the Bible, music was used for the wrong purposes even by God's people, as they dedicated the golden calf: Ex 32:17 And when Joshua heard the noise of the people as they shouted, he said unto Moses, There is a noise of war in the camp.
Ex 32:18 And he said, It is not the voice of them that shout for mastery, neither is it the voice of them that cry for being overcome: but the noise of them that sing do I hear.
; [I don't know what the sound of war type of music sounded like back then, but that also sounds eerily familiar]; so we know that music can be used to glorify God and it can be used to glorify man or the flesh, even satan; Bringing this back to the question of CCM and its use in Worship, I'll make one last comment and then ask a question: I have heard people [such as my cousin and her husband I mentioned in an earlier post] say they will not attend a Church unless it has CCM music in it [not mentioning anything about the Bible or the preaching or even the people], and my question is, is that not carnal?? There is no guideline that I know of for musical instruments in worship, but there certainly is for the Word [OT and new]; repeating myself, brother, I am afraid satan is using this music to dull the minds and senses and making people become numb to the Word of God!! I'm proud to know that you are KJV because my experience with those churches has been anything but....God bless