View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
Sister, I'm going to disagree with you here.

Here's the entire passage:

Verse 12: Who are judged? the dead.
What is judged? the things in the books, according to their works. Not according to their names being in any book.
Verse 13: Who is judged here? The dead who were in the sea, and death, and hell. The dead in the sea were not in hell.
What is judged? every man according to his works. Not according to their names being in any book.
Verse 14: Death and hell are cast into the lake of fire. Not the dead, not those dead from the sea.
Verse 15: And of the small and great dead, who were not written in the book of life, were cast into the lake of fire.
So, of the small and great dead, who were being judged by their works, were any written in the book of life? It says that those who were NOT written in the book of life, not all. It leaves some doubt that all went into the lake of fire.

In context, Revelation 20:1-15

Verses 1-3: Satan is bound and thrown into the bottomless pit for 1,000 years.

4-6: First resurrection of the martyred SAVED (those who did not receive the mark of the beast during the Tribulation). They will be made kings and princes and will reign with Christ for 1,000 years. This is the first resurrection.

7-10: Satan is loosed for a "short season" to go out and deceive the nations. (vs. 7) Apparently the number of those who follow Satan will be "as the sand of the sea". (vs. 8) The "final battle" (Gog and Magog) will be fought at this time. God will send fire down from heaven and devour those who followed Satan (they are LOST people) (vs. 9). Then Satan is cast into the lake of fire and brimstone (the antichrist and the false prophet are already there). He will be tormented in the lake of fire for eternity (vs. 10).

And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. (Revelation 20:11)

This verse tells us who will be judged at the Great White Throne. Why was "no place found for them?" Most likely because of the destruction by fire described in verse 10. Those who fled, were fleeing from judgment...there was no place for them to run.

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. (Revelation 20:12-13)

The "dead" in these verses are the UNSAVED/LOST. We know this because when you read these verses carefully and in context, you will see that those who are judged here according to the things which were written in the books, according to their works. Notice it says "the books", not the book of life. Why? it is because their names have been blotted out of the book of life when they died without trusting Christ. The judgment of the unbeliever's works results in the person himself being cast into the lake of fire. No exceptions are mentioned.

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:14-15)

Everyone who stands before the GWT judgment will be eternally separated from God...their final destiny is the Lake of Fire. There are no exceptions.
Quote:
Now, regarding salvation: we know that, before Calvary, it was the works based on the law that decided if a man went to paradise/Heaven or not. A man was judged on his 'works'. In the Tribulation, it was necessary to have both faith and works in order to endure to the end.

I'm at work and it's difficult to try to look up the passages online, but I'll try to do that, later tonight, as time allows: after work we've got revival at our church, and by the time I get home I imagine I'll be pretty tired.

Anyone else who wants to jump in and explain this better than I have, be my guest.
Salvation is the same in the Old Testament (before Calvary) as it is in the New Testament...it is by grace through faith. Here are two good articles from Way of Life concerning this topic:

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/salvationot.htm

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/salvationot2.htm