View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post
We do have an example of a saved believer who is told to pray and ask forgiveness for a sin after conversion. It is Simon who was beforetime a sorcerer in Acts 8.

22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.

24 Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.

So, here we have a believer who sinned, and Peter told him to repent of his wickedness, and pray to God for forgiveness.
Greetings Brother Winman. Thanks for bringing that passage and verse to our (my) attention. I may be wrong on this but I don't see this as "confessing" a sinful thought for the specific purpose of being forgiven of sin and cleansed from all unrighteousness. I continue to recall the scriptures that teach we are forgiven and made the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

1 John 2:12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
Let me say right off that this COULD BE understood by others that forgiveness is always conditional to the confession of our sins--over and over again. Personally I don't understand the above verses to mean that.

Concerning your reference to this verse:
Acts 8:22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
After Simon is told to pray God, I believe the words "if," "perhaps," "heart," and "may be" are all relevant in this specific verse and helps us to understand that the word forgiven means pray that God will help him get rid of the thought. It perhaps, may or may not occur--perhaps.

In my humble (and I mean that, brother) opinion, I believe that when we confess our sins prior to receiving and believing in Christ, that is to say we agree with God and say with our mouth that we have sins (for "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us" 1 John 1:8) then HE is faithful to forgive us of our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

No "if," "perhaps," or "may be" about it. The issue to me was Simon needing a change of heart, not simply a one time "quick fix" and reapplication of Christ's blood through confession of his sinful thought so he could be forgiven of that thought until the next time. Peter was obviously not saying all you have to do is pray, confess, and God will forgive you.

I often pray asking God to remove (forgive) sinful thoughts or attitudes. But I'll be honest with you, brother, the things I should do, I don't, and the things I should not do, I do. O wretched man that I am! I thank God through Jesus Christ that I am delivered once and for all from this body of death wrought by sin and that my fellowship with HIM, righteousness in Christ, and forgiveness for sins is never conditional to my confession of those sins now that I am washed in the precious blood of Jesus Christ his Son that cleanseth me from all sin.

We (and others) may never agree on the confession issue. There are many things we could address regarding this issue. I'll pray God and perhaps, may be, if my heart is stirred, and if I am led of the Spirit, I'll write a post on confessing sin.