View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kinney View Post
God forbid that we should have to look up and learn an unfamiliar word in English! Do any of these modern version proponents suppose there are no English words in their own recommended versions that most high schoolers wouldn't know how to define?
That's a great point, Will. One which you expound on quite well further in your post with respect to the NIV.
I confess to understanding the meaning of the word 'trow' based on its context without having to look it up. However, I don't think it's as easy to do with some of the archaic words as it is with most any of those words you listed from the NIV

Quote:
We need to ask ourselves: Did the Lord Jesus Christ originally speak these words or not? Remember, He said "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." Did He mean this or was He just kidding?
Another excellent point, one about which I am feeling convicted.

Quote:
In Luke 17:3 ..These two little words "against thee" affect the entire application of the verse. Versions like the Holman, NASB, NIV, RSV all omit these two words and say: "If your brother sins, rebuke him. And if he repents, forgive him."
I'm not sure this is a good example for you to be pointing out. The AV's rendering reads that as long as your brother{i.e., a believer} does not sin against ME, then I'm not enjoined to rebuke him, nor encourage him to repent. In the MV example, the rendering clearly indicates what my Christian duty truly is. Sin is sin, whether directed against me, or not.

Quote:
In the last verse of this chapter we read in Luke 17:37 - "And they answered him and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will THE EAGLES be gathered together."
And Matt.24:28 -"For wheresoever the carcass is, there will the eagles be gathered together."

Quote:
The word used here for "eagles" is the same in all texts. It is aetoi and is always translated as "eagles"
There is an entirely different Greek word that means vultures - gups. It is not even close to the word for eagles - aetoi.
You got me there, Will. I don't own an Interlinear Greek text, and likely never will. That one does leave me wondering, for sure.

After a diet of Westerns as a young man, as well as numerous wildlife documentaries, I associate carrion with vultures, not eagles. Eagles, from what I know, prefer to eyeball and swoop down on live prey. Still, if I put my mind to it, it's certainly plausible that there may be eagles in conjunction with vultures. Afterall, rodents also come out to dine on carrion. Certainly they would attract snakes and lizards that feed on the rodents. Thus, around a carcass, there very well may be opportunities for the eagles.

For brother Avery, your post #7 is outstanding!