View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 07:54 AM

Default should we discard the KJB word ? - I trow not

Luke 17:9
Doth he thank that servant because he did the things
that were commanded him? I trow not.

Personally, I really appreciate, like and use the phrase 'trow not' in proper usage. Interestingly those who use the phrase seem to sense the proper usage even when they haven't thought it through in a study.

In our English 'trow not' has a specific meaning, and is quite distinct and different than to 'think not' although there may be places where either can be used. 'Trow not' is truly excellent and solid and economic and communicative vocabulary, many of us learn our language in more fullness through the King James Bible.

You can see this from the very differing etymologies.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=t&p=21
trow
O.E. treowian "to trust, believe," from treow "faith, belief," from P.Gmc. *truwian (see true). Cognate with Ger. trauen.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...earchmode=none
think
O.E. žencan "conceive in the mind, think, consider, intend" (past tense žohte, p.p. gežoht), probably originally "cause to appear to oneself," from P.Gmc. (continues)

Notice that "trow not" has a sense of belief and faith and trust, of truth. The words will be spoken with conviction, and give the sense of surety of mind and conviction.

While to "think not" can be simply mental knowledge, intellectual assent, ironic, supposition, and many other types of thinking.

================================================

Did the Cavaliers win a basketball game yesterday ?

I think not.

Will this new analysis of the Bible MSS and languages undermine my conviction
that the King James Bible is the pure and perfect word of God ?

I trow not.

================================================== ======

Shalom,
Steven

PS.
Notice how the natural usage will be first-person, the declaration of faith and truth.
The Bible does use 'think not' in 2nd-person usages.

Last edited by Steven Avery; 05-19-2008 at 08:23 AM.