View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
At the risk of pointing fingers let me just say that in general, my first impressions, of reading the many posts, (I know a lot of them have to be weeded out by what I would call zelots), I just get the impression, that a lot of the brethren are just quoting missing scripture comparing one version to the other, and that of course HAS to be true, because other versions where translated using different guidelines by different people at a different times in history. They also translated from different sources so again you expect differences.
I fail to see the connection to cults with this. You seem to be dismissing matters of difference with these statements -- but differences are what we are left with after we discern. If differences didn't matter we wouldn't need discernment.

For what it's worth:
John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
I take this action of love very seriously, which is why most of my work effort is devoted to matters of the Bible and Bible study.

I'm greatly pleased that you are in fact not dismissing the issue out of hand, and that you are continuing in study. I wholeheartedly recommend the books I mentioned earlier. I believe that the foundational doctrine of preservation and inspiration is at the core of the debate. If one ends up discarding preservation outright, then there is simply no means of persuading them of the superiority of the KJV.

And, praise God for your salvation, regardless of the Bible version you read. I didn't even know what the KJV was when I got saved. I was NIV+ for many years.