View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
Help us out here -- what behavior do you attribute to all who hold to the KJV as perfect do you regard as cultish? If you're looking for something that can be refuted on an objective level, you'll need to be specific.
At the risk of pointing fingers let me just say that in general, my first impressions, of reading the many posts, (I know a lot of them have to be weeded out by what I would call zelots), I just get the impression, that a lot of the brethren are just quoting missing scripture comparing one version to the other, and that of course HAS to be true, because other versions where translated using different guidelines by different people at a different times in history. They also translated from different sources so again you expect differences.

Personally the Holy Spirit opened my heart to the saving grace or our Lord Jesus Christ when I read the following from the Good News Bible that was given to me by my sister.
Quote:
3:12 You do not believe me when I tell you about the things of this world; how will you ever believe me, then, when I tell you about the things of heaven?
3:13 And no one has ever gone up to heaven except the Son of Man, who came down from heaven."
3:14 As Moses lifted up the bronze snake on a pole in the desert, in the same way the Son of Man must be lifted up,
3:15 so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.
3:16 For God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not die but have eternal life.
3:17 For God did not send his Son into the world to be its judge, but to be its savior. (from the book of John GNB)
There were probably billions of souls saved by His grace in the millenniums before the AV was printed.

So I have to conclude with Joyner that folks who today spend so much effort into the version rather then the Gospel itself are in that same boat as the Scribes and Pharisee's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
The KJV did not require "original inspiration" (if we can call it that) because the KJV is simply the word of God in English. The words are therefore inspired. If they are not inspired, they are not God's word. If you only believe inspiration exists at the point of Paul's pen, then you can not in any meaningful or reasonable way also claim any book or copy we have available to us is from God.
as pointed out by Dr. Thomas Holland in his book Crowned With Glory
Quote:
The Textus Receptus was the standard Greek text for centuries. It was used by Protestant translators during the Reformation, and is responsible for the Authorized Version and its English forerunners.[6] The Majority Text and the Textus Receptus are very similar (except in the book of Revelation) because both reflect the majority of existing Greek manuscripts.
and those are the documents the Holy Spirit had his hand on those authors' pen. So I still don't see the connection that has to people reading from the KJV, but now that you have my attention, my studies continue.

Last edited by Gord; 05-02-2008 at 08:53 PM.