View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 10:08 AM

Default Re: "Call to preach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
Wow, you'd think I said something wrong. I'm going to refrain from commenting on your posts and allow someone else to do so.

pbiwolski, I see your point. I hadn't orignially made the connection that he was speaking of an evangelist, rather then a preacher. Nevertheless my concerns are still valid in light of his last two posts.

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen

Aloha brother Stephen,

I have some of the same concerns that you have concerning cb6445.

After reading his Posts I see a whole lot of "emotion" and very little Scriptural discernment.

I cannot speak to his "calling", but I can say that as a new born babe in Christ he must get thoroughly grounded in the word of God, before he begins to go out as an "evangelist".

There is a difference between "witnessing" for and about the Lord Jesus Christ (which every Christian can and should do) and holding a Scriptural office in a church. Check out the verses on "evangelists" in the Bible [there aren't that many - Acts 21:8; Ephesians 4:11; 2Timothy 4:5] and the qualifications and duties of an evangelist are not clearly stated in the Scriptures.

However, some things are clear:
Quote:
Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
The offices of the apostles and prophets {all of whom were Jews} in the church ceased with the death of the apostles (Peter, James, Paul, and John, etc.).

The two (2) offices in the church {today} that are clearly laid out in the Scriptures are the office of a "bishop" {i.e. elder/pastor} and deacon.

The office (and duties) of an "evangelist" is not spelled out in Scripture, and the only "examples" we have of "evangelists" are Philip [Acts 21:8]; and Timothy [2Timothy 4:5] - Both of whom, by the way, were also Jews.

We know something about Timothy's "ministry" (he assisted the apostle Paul), but we don't know that much about Philip's "ministry":

Quote:
Acts 21:8 And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him.
This "Philip" was "one of the seven":
Quote:
Acts 6:5 And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, {#1} a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip {#2}, and Prochorus {#3}, and Nicanor {#4}, and Timon {#5}, and Parmenas {#6}, and Nicolas {#7} a proselyte of Antioch:
According to the Bible the purpose of an evangelist is for: "For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:" {NOT just preaching the Gospel} And as such, his qualifications should be no less than at least those required for a deacon. God does not have "free lance" operators that are outside of His body and are "footloose" and "fancy free" to do exactly as they please.

In the last 100 years of church history, I know of no other office in the church of God that has been as abused and misused as that of an "evangelist"; and I believe one of the reasons for this abuse is the lack of any oversight (on the part of a church - the body, not just a pastor) of evangelists.

The closest ministry to that of a Scriptural "evangelist" today would be a "missionary" - not some "free-lancer", who is out there "doing his thing" without any supervision or oversight at all!

Keep up the good work brother - I am greatly encouraged by your Posts and the obvious growth in your discernment and understanding of the Scriptures.